Tammekännu Leisure Centre  
A Family Day in Ahja  
A Car Trip for a Family  
Making souvenirs of clay  
Information  
  Wifi  
  06-06-2005  
  Võimalus kasutada WiFi`t.  
  Ööklubi "Life"  
  07-04-2005  
  Puhkekeskuses on avatud restoran-ööklubi LIFE!  
  arhiiv  
 
A Car Trip for a Family


The plaits of the beautiful nature and the history.

The Route of the trip by car ( about 150 km )

Mammaste – Rosma – the primitive valley of the River Võhandu – Meenikunno – Ilumetsa – Piusa – Värska – Beresje – Lüübnitsa – Võõpsu – Räpina – Leevaku – Mooste – Põlva -  Mammaste

The beginning and the end of the trip is at Tammekännu Leisure Centre.

  • Rosma site of an ancient fortified stronghold : there used to be a wooden stronghold in the second half of the first millennium which was deserted at the beginning of the second millennium. It was one of the biggest and most strongly reinforced strongholds in southern Estonia. Rosma used to be the political administration centre of the area in the Võhandu and Ahja river-basin and a trading centre
  • In the areas of the Ahja and Võhandu river-basin there are a lot of small strongholds built in the second half of the first millennium ( Kauksi, Võuküla, Varbuse, Lääniste, Kuningmäe, Urvaste, Rõuge ). The strongholds were burnt down, destroyed or deserted in the second millennium.
  • The primitive valley of the River Võhandu. The cave of the god of ancient Estonia, Uku, burial mounds, Süvahavva watermill. In this area there are a lot of milles which have fallen into disrepair or where no work takes place. Picnic site.
  • Meenikunno swamp protection area : an observation tower, a wooden footpath, a swamp lake. More than 40 different species of birds have been counted there. Picnic site.
  • Ilumetsa meteorite craters – “ Hellgrave” : a crater with a diametre of 80 metres, lovely wooden sculptures.Picnic site.
  • Piusa sandcaves : an old underground glass sand mining, there’s the Baltic’s biggest hibernating place of bats and butterflies.
  • Värska : thanks to its suitable location, Värska has always been an important nodal point. During the first years of the Estonian Republic there was a small port which was used by passenger liners, merchant ships and war ships. Värska is the biggest settlement in Setumaa. There are a lot of places which offer something to eat and drink, a place for swimming, Värska sanatorium, Setu Peasantry Museum.
  • Beresje : the settlement of Russian members of the Orthodox church.
  • Lüübnitsa : a fishers’ village where people earned their living selling as well as processing fish. Sparling was dried in large drying – ovens and was sold in Tartu and Pihkva. They were also responsible for catching fish for Petseri monastery. Nowadays the inhabitants of the village still make their living catching fish and growing vegetables ( onions and cucumbers ). There is an observation tower from where Russia can be seen.
  • Võõpsu : a street village which is about 1 kilometre long and which is situated on the right bank of the River Võhandu. For hundreds of years the commodity way heading for Pihkva has passed through Võõpsu. In Võõpsu a lot of treasures have been found. The area around Võõpsu has played an important part during the reign of Tartu Bishopic and Pihkva Principality ( from the middle of the 13th century to 1510 ) when there were small wooden protection towers and an ancient port.
  • Räpina : there is a respectable Sillapää castle built during the first half of the 19th century. There is also a beautiful park near the castle and you can also see the wooden parliament.
  • Leevaku :  the hydro-electric power station which was the Komsomol shock work product. There is also a smoke sauna with the world’s highest chimney.
  • Mooste : a manor complex and a park which was established at the end of the 16th century. The manor was built in the historistic style while the park was established in the English style.
  • Põlva : the church of Põlva which has stood at the same place since 1326, Intsikurmu choir stand which is surrounded with beautiful nature, a lake and a beach.

Water vehicles ( surfbikes, water bikes, a boat, a kayak, canoes and a small barbeque raft “Johanna”, where picnics can be held in the daytime as well as in the twilight ) can be rented at the lake. On Lake Põlva you can see a light installation.

  • Mammaste : a monument of a Peasants’ school, the school was founded in 1682.
Feel our unique nature and our country

The Route by car covers about 75 kilometres.

Mammaste – Taevaskoja – Kiidjärve – Akste – Valgesoo – Karilatsi – Palojärve – the Old Võru Road – Varbuse – Põlva – Mammaste

The beginning and the end of the trip is at Tammekännu Leisure Centre.

  • Taevaskoja Natural Park :  sandstone banks, the Mother Spring with its sanatory water, the Saessaare hydro-electric power station and a dam. On Lake Taevaskoja there you can sail on a ferry “Lonni”. The lake is also suitable place for swimming and you can have a picnic at the lake.
  • Kiidjärve : there is a watermill built of red bricks which is the        biggest in the Baltic States.Swimming place. Picnic site.
  • Valgesoo wild-life preserve :  a wooden footpath, an observation tower. Picnic site. 
  • Akste ants’ colony – in the ants’ preserve there are more than 2000 ant-hills, the biggest of them are up to 2 metres high, some ant-hills are more than a hundred years old.
  • Karilatsi Peasantry Museum : gives a short review about the life of the peasantry.
  • Palojärv : a popular swimming place in a lovely pine forest.
  • Old Võru Road : post road
  • Varbuse site of an ancient fortified stronghold : Road Museum
  • Põlva : the church of Põlva which has stood at the same place since 1326, Intsikurmu choir stand which is surrounded with beautiful nature, a lake and a beach.

Water vehicles ( surfbikes, water bikes, a boat, a kayak, canoes and a small barbeque raft “Johanna”, where picnics can be held in the daytime as well as in the twilight ) can be rented at the lake. On Lake Põlva you can see a light installation.

  • Mammaste : Mammaste : a monument of a Peasants’ school, the school was founded in 1682.